Derby City & South Derbyshire Mental Health Carers' Forum
Welcome to our website
We are a self help group of people who care or have cared for a relative, friend or neighbour suffering from any form of mental health illness.
We meet monthly to offer each other mutual support, advice and understanding in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere.
The Forum is open to past and present mental health Carers.
We cater for Carers living in and around Derby City, Amber Valley, Erewash and South Derbyshire.
Some services we are able to offer:
- Emotional support by providing a friendly relaxed environment where you can freely express the impact and experiences of caring for someone with a mental health illness.
- Signposting to other relevant agencies.
- Guest speakers who talk to us about a whole range of issues that affect Carers and the people they care for.
- Give you a voice in the planning and delivery of services to both Carers and service users.
Carers attend our forum for many different reasons e.g.
- for someone to talk to
- for mutual support
- to meet other Carers
- to access professionals
- for relaxation
- to get information
- to share information
- to make friends
- to have a break from caring
- to help with the activities of the Forum
- to have a voice in the planning and delivery of services
Many people gain help and support from meeting together with others who have similar experiences or problems and from being able to 'let off steam' with people who understand.
Our Forum provides the opportunity for carers to meet together in a relaxed informal atmosphere over a cup of tea or coffee.
We are a fully diverse group and continue to strive to recruit Carers regardless of age, sexual orientation, background, disability or culture.
We are especially proud that we have attracted Members who are not only Carers but who also suffer with personal physical disabilities.
We also pride ourselves that we have Members from Culture Diverse Communities (BME) including Bangladeshi, Indian, Pakistani and Afro-Caribbean, some of whom sit on our Core Group Committee.